Taking into account the personal likes, interests and ability of the Alzheimer or other dementia sufferer, the following could be carried out:
- Proverbs and popular sayings, popular songs, poetry, jokes, riddles.
- Adapted jigsaw puzzles (big pieces but adult content which is of interest to the sufferer.
- Music (singing or listening): you can reminisce about the past, remembering words of certain songs. If the person is religious hymns and church rituals can be sung.
- Remember multiplication tables, singing them.
- Always situate the person in the day, month and season we are in. Place a calendar near and circle the day we are in.
- Short walks: when you do this you should indicate where you are, read posters and publicity, walk in areas which are well known.
- Use a photograph albumn, remembering people, experiences etc.
- Paint and remember.
- Do psycho-stimulation exercises. On internet there is a lot of material which can be consulted such as revision exercise books of the ACE Foundation, Cognitive Stimulation exercise books (Esteve), RUBIO exercise books “Use your mind for the first time” etc.
|A HAPPY CARE IS A GOOD CARER|
A smile is contagious. SMILE and you will infect your loved one.
Smiling reduces blood pressure so TAKE ADVANTAGE OF SMILING
Look for the positive side of each situation. Add to your life, don’t subtract.
+ NO –
|Take care of yourself and exercirse.|
|Let people help you. Have people at your side to help you feel strong.||Although your mood will change from day to day, NEVER LOSE YOUR SMILE||Let your good moods become your banner.|
Give yourself permission to express your emotions, feelings and thoughts with who you wish and choose.
LET YOURSELF CRY IF YOU HAVE TO
Change blame for good humour.
YOU HAVEN’T CHOSEN THIS SITUATION.