CORONAVIRUS: WHAT AND HOW TO DO AT HOME
ORIENTATION FOR HOME BASED ACTIVITIES DURING THE CONFINEMENT PERIOD
MUSIC AND DANCE
- Give them the chance to listen to music from when they were young and ask them questions about the singer, the text of the song or if, listening to it brings memories to mind. Give them the chance to listen to music from when they were young and ask them questions about the singer, the text of the song or if, listening to it brings memories to mind.
- Just listen to music. During the Spring months you can put them music related to this, Murcian music which they usually enjoy listening to.
- Sing, for even though the person can’t pronounce the words they are processing them just the same.
- Should you have any musical instrument at home (if a percussion instrument better) play this and follow the rhythm of the music or simply create their own rhythm.
- Put music and dance to it.
PAINTING OR COLOURING
- Colour in mandalas, pieces of wood, drawings made for colouring (Let the person choose for themselves what they want to colour or choose something for them which has to do with the season, or some relevant happening etc……) Colour in mandalas, pieces of wood, drawings made for colouring (Let the person choose for themselves what they want to colour or choose something for them which has to do with the season, or some relevant happening etc……)
- Just give them a piece of paper and let them colour what they want.
PUT THINGS IN ORDER
- They can put different things in order, for example: sort socks into pairs of the same colour, fold clothes or towels, organize a sewing box with the buttons and other things, or a tool box, put coins into a jar etc.
- Give them a box with different dry pulse vegetables mixed together (lentils, chick peas, peas etc.). They should try to separate the vegetables and put each one into a corresponding recipient.
- Pack of cards: find them a pack of cards and get them to separate them according to the suit, or even numbers.
PUT THINGS IN ORDER
- With a piece of string or wool, make simple knots, not too tight and let them try to undo them, or even make them themselves and then undo them.
- We could give them a massage, especially if they start to get nervous. Ask them where thay prefer you to give the massage and even ask them if there is any particular part of their body which hurts (head, back, hands etc.)
READ SHORT STORIES, POEMS OR TEXTAS
- If there are children in the house they could read together.
- Look together at photograph albums and make comments about memories that they may have. They can also look at the photos in magazines, with famous people. Or they can talk about and look at some of the photos or paintings that we have in the lounge.
- If you are lucky enough to have a garden take advantage of that and plant things, water them, watch them grow and look after them.